The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Hares
29 messages
Select a forum:
Emma A wrote:
tjj wrote:
Something to go with Moss' post on hare mythology - this is a fascinating site about hares and rabbits.

http://www.endicott-studio.com/rdrm/rrRabbits.html

Why, I wonder, do we say 'white rabbits' on 1st March (or is it any month). According to the above there are strong associations with the hare/rabbit going back to ancient China - which travelled along the Silk Road into northern Europe.

That's a really interesting article - thanks for posting! It mentions the goddess of Spring Eostre turning into a hare - I know another myth about her. She found an injured bird and the only way she could save its life was to change it into a hare. However the transformation was not quite complete and the hare still laid eggs, hence the Easter bunny bringing us Easter eggs!

Thanks Emma. Did you have to mention Easter eggs as I'm on a diet and have chocolate withdrawal symptoms!! :-)

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
7th March 2012ce
21:08

In reply to:

Re: Hares (Emma A)

Messages in this topic: