The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Wiltshire Forum Start a topic | Search
Wiltshire
Re: Support needed for Wiltshire Heritage Museum
25 messages
Select a forum:
moss wrote:
Many years ago we used to go to the museum on the course I was doing in archaeology, and some of the people from the course were volunteers there. Volunteer work was also done at the Bath & Camerton Society as well, so we should'nt necessarily condemn voluntary work, it only becomes bad when people get thrown out of jobs...

No, you're quite right to make that point about voluntary work Moss. Much extremely valuable work is done by the voluntary sector. What annoys is the idea that a job is seen as "surplus to requirements" when it's paid, but then acknowledging that actually, yes we did need someone to do that after all, so let's get someone to do it for nowt (and without the training, experience, etc that it was previously done with).

I firmly believe in the public sector and in the state taking responsibility (i.e providing funding) for things that benefit everyone. Sadly the Big Society concept appears to be diametrically at odds with that idea. The concept appears to work on the basis that the rich don't need "public"services because they can pay flunkies to attend to their medical needs, empty their bins, keep the grass verges around Witney nicely manicured, etc, whereas the "poor" don't need any of those things (because they're too busy being worked into the ground to have the time for illness, or leisure, or education).

So the message from the government is that if we really have to have these things, let Society provide them for themselves on a voluntary basis, why should the government pay for them? It has better things to spend your money on, like buying guns (to keep up the appearance of being an Important Country) and keeping the banks happy. Bah.

Reply | with quote
thesweetcheat
Posted by thesweetcheat
5th January 2012ce
22:33

Messages in this topic: