The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Gobekli Tepe...Turkey
43 messages
Select a forum:
Littlestone wrote:
Jeeze Sanctuary, you’re getting as pedantic as me (see moss’ profile ;-) On that point I beg to differ though; you can spell mortise with a c but it’s actually a variation of mortise. The OED gives it as -

mortise /0?m?:t?s/ noun & verb. Also -ice. LME.
[ORIGIN Old French mortoise (mod. mortaise) = Spanish mortaja, perh. from Arabic murtaj locked, place of locking.]

A noun. A cavity or recess in a framework into which the end of some other part is fitted to form a joint; spec. in Carpentry, a (usu. rectangular) recess cut in the surface of a piece of timber etc. to receive a tenon. Also, a groove or slot in or through which to put a rope, an adjustable pin, etc. LME.

mortise and tenon, tenon and mortise a joint composed of a mortise and a tenon; the method of joining pieces of wood etc. with a mortise and a tenon.

[ORIGIN Old French mortoise (mod. mortaise) = Spanish mortaja, perh. from Arabic murtaj locked, place of locking.]

mortise and tenon, tenon and mortise a joint composed of a mortise and a tenon; the method of joining pieces of wood etc. with a mortise and a tenon.

Great book on Japanese joinery by the way is ART OF JAPANESE JOINERY - think you’d love it :-)

I can remember my old pal Graham as an apprentice getting a rollicking for spelling it with an S by one of our Southampon college tutors :-).
He was the guy who said that bricklayers worked to the nearest inch...mechanics to the nearest thou....but joiners, well we worked SPOT ON!!! LOL

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
24th December 2012ce
12:53

In reply to:

Re: Gobekli Tepe...Turkey (Littlestone)

1 reply:

Re: Gobekli Tepe...Turkey (Littlestone)

Messages in this topic: