The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge and its Environs Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge and its Environs
Re: Should Stonehenge be floodlit?
47 messages
Select a forum:
tjj wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
tjj wrote:
head-first wrote:
...Because moonlight simply isn't good enough...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15934993

Oh no! Please not. I haven't yet experienced the stars 'drawing down' at Stonehenge but hope to one day.

Years ago a mate and I on permision from EH spent what was meant to be a moonlight night there on a photographic mission. Needless to say it was so cloudy we saw nothing so compromised with the use of lanterns.

I've only really experienced the stars in their full splendour once in my life ... a moonless, frosty night near Silbury several years ago. I wasn't high on anything at all but it like seeing for the first time for a blind person. Totally awe inspiring. I understand this happens in other ancient places too and Stonehenge is one of them.

When I was in Morroco June we camped against the walls of a redundent Foreign Legion fort one night and the sky looked like you were looking at it through a zoom lense. The moon appeared huge and the stars as big as tennis balls. All to do with the clean atmosphere no doubt but breathtaking.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
30th November 2011ce
08:30

Messages in this topic: