The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge
Re: Stonehenge road closure approved
36 messages
Select a forum:
The Eternal wrote:
tjj wrote:
I haven't commented on this at all but keeping a close eye on how things progress. Although I live in the same county as Stonehenge, like Roy - Avebury and its surrounds has always been my bolt hole.

The first time I visited the Stonehenge landscape I had the most wonderful experience without actually going inside 'the fence'; I'm sure this is how Stonehenge is meant to be experienced. I visited again last year when I did 'go in' and walked slowly around this spectacular monument taking all the perspectives - which cannot be fully appreciated any other way. I haven't seen the sun go down or rise from within the henge yet as being a bit anti-social know I would not enjoy being part of the large gatherings that happen twice a year. I'm sure EH and/or NT will make enough money from the carpark and shop (as they do at Avebury) but if they are truly going to give Stonehenge back to the people then I applaud them. I'm sure visitors will self-monitor any potential stone climbing activities.

July 2009.
Today a friend .. took me into the Stonehenge landscape; it was a wonderful elemental sort of day, the sort I experienced on the Orkneys, only right here in Wiltshire. We went to Durrington Walls and walked across what had once been a Neolithic settlement, the hairs started to tingle on my arms, a strange sensation. Then round into Woodhenge to stand and stare for a bit ... before a shower blew over.

I was thinking it couldn’t get any better when my friend showed me a hidden spring by the river Avon right at the start of the Avenue to Stonehenge. I am trying to find the right word for such a place apart from the usual mystical, sacred; it was both of those things. Walking across the Avenue, which is still intact as a raised grassy ‘road’ the word liminal came to mind. Limen is from the Latin meaning ‘threshold’ - it was that sort of place.

The same experience occurred walking back towards Stonehenge in the long wild grass of what was once the Avenue. Wonderful … it was a day I will not forget.

June,
I agree that the best Stonehenge experience lies outside the fence, but, as you say, to fully appreciate the stones themselves you need to get closer.
I particularly enjoyed the account of your approach from Durrington. Beautifully written.
Cheers,
TE.

I think that with a lot of these iconic sites the best view is from above where you can plot out what lies around them. Often they then appear to be just one component part of a much larger 'complex' in the landscape but joining up the dots to fit in the other component parts to make sense of it all is more difficult.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
6th November 2011ce
23:23

In reply to:

Re: Stonehenge road closure approved (The Eternal)

Messages in this topic: