The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge
Re: Stonehenge road closure approved
36 messages
Select a forum:
The Eternal wrote:
I'm a cynic, like Rhiannon, and with good reason, given the money-obsessed organizations of EH and the NT. They don't just charge a fee, they charge an obscene fee. Nowt wrong with paying for entry, but make it affordable to all.

So, the "new" Stonehenge will be open, will it? That means most people will be able to get in somewhere for free. Can't see either of the aforementioned money-grabbers being happy with that little scenario, can you?

As for nigelswift's view, I agree that we certainly do not want Blackpool-type visitor provisions. I understand that by removing the road it will make it very difficult for disabled people to see the stones, so, obviously, they have to have some form of transport to enable them to get there. However, keep the transport for the disabled: let's not let lazy people use that transport, in order to minimise the intrusion of any vehicular access.

I, for one, will always find a way into Stonehenge without paying, like I always have done. If the fee was reasonable, then I'd willingly pay, but they're even charging for parking at the moment.

I hope ther is a solution to suit all, but I can't see the leopards changing their spots.

Cheers,
TE.

Yes I've done my share of 'free Stonehenge' as well TC when I was younger and have even spent the night there filming but it no longer has any appeal to me and don't give a monkey if I ever saw it again to be honest. Officialdom has done that for me coupled with the constant changing of ideas and and sheer amount of time spent publicising the place like nowhere else matters. It's just a money trap now. For me Avebury's plendour is far more interesting and you can still get up and personal with the stones and get a real feeling for the place. Stonehenge they have killed off for me. That aside I much prefer these days to visit small sites where you can get your mind together without the distraction of constantly being interrupted or moved on and actually spending time there doing real research and forming your own opinion rather than it being formed for you by too many preconceived ideas because in the main these little sites are overlooked but often just as important IMO.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
6th November 2011ce
07:52

In reply to:

Re: Stonehenge road closure approved (The Eternal)

Messages in this topic: