The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Scotland Forum Start a topic | Search
Scotland
Re: Lack of stone circles north of Inverness?
27 messages
Select a forum:
summerlands wrote:
There are more than just those few, there's the likely stone circle (often referred to as cairn remains) by the Edderton Stone, Douglas Scott also indentified another possible a few km along the road I think which I've yet to find, there's possibility of one or two destroyed around Dunrobin, Bridge of Broubster, Backlass, Auchinduich by Lairg, Dailharraild / Clach an Righ, Learable Hill, there are others too...

One thing I do keep reading is about possible circles that get lost in forestry - and I wonder if you plant trees you loose a circle, esp an already damamged one, in or to trees a lot easier than a cairn. Lot's of cairns still traceable in woods, but I can't think off top of many standing stones or circles known amongst trees around here...

The circles we do know tend to be of quite modest stones. I personally recon we've lost quite a number. But I agree it's definitely not stone country like the likes of other areas.

Yeah, get the point re forestry.... it swallows up massive long cairns, let alone stone circles, so guess the challenge is on you locals to post sites for us sassenachs to visit. Local knowledge....

Essex is an odd place. I've only discovered this year that we've got a couple of hillforts ranking up there with the UK's best.... both totally private, hidden in trees and out of bounds to the general public.

Reply | with quote
GLADMAN
Posted by GLADMAN
23rd September 2011ce
23:56

Messages in this topic: