The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Slaggyford Stones Forum Start a topic | Search
Slaggyford Stones
Re: Slaggyford Stones .
170 messages
Select a forum:
tiompan wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
tiompan wrote:
They certainly don't look like cup marks of any description . Those holes are quite common and are often confused with cup marks . I could post examples of local ones . Cup marks tend to be like inverted cones whilst these have sharper edges with the sides being more vertical rather than sloping . They don't look like standing stones either .

Hi George,
Are many of those natural recumbent stones (as against those that are known to have fallen) we see with cup marks in various other locations ever lifted to see if they have any on the underside?

Hi Roy ,there has been some limited excavations in this country around marked boulders that are not bed rock (be rock ahs been excavated too ) but none have been inverted unless they were small enough .In the cases of genuine standing stones still standing with markings there are examples where both sides have been marked .The sequence is intriguing enough when the markings are on one side i.e. was the rock marked in situ then quarried and erected , the most likely sequence , or quarried then marked .When the markings are on both sides ,(sometimes the sides of the stones too therefore 3or 4 sides as is the case at Nether largie ) clearly on one side could have been done in situ but the stone could then have been turned over .

Thanks George. I find myself looking out for examples now, something I've never done before!! Judging by all your reports you certainly have a 'nose' for finding it!! Well done you.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
9th September 2011ce
09:22

In reply to:

Re: Slaggyford Stones . (tiompan)

Messages in this topic: