The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   The Idol Stone Forum Start a topic | Search
The Idol Stone
Re: More damage.
54 messages
Select a forum:
drewbhoy wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
drewbhoy wrote:
nigelswift wrote:
Kozmik_Ken wrote:
Education is probably part of the answer. But even then, it is no defence against someone determined to do willful damage.

Education, yes, but (and I never thought I'd end up all Daily Express) bigger punishments as well. Whoever bulldozed the Priddy Circle simply wouldn't have if he'd known two house bricks awaited him....

Most definitely education. Bigger fines, imprisonment or violence, as you seem to suggest, won't solve anything once the site has been damaged. All seems very reactionary to me and just adds to the problem.

Seems to me the best answer is to get the sites properly protected by law and for the law to be properly upheld, doesn't mean come all the heavy. Seems obvious to me that if somebody buys a piece of land then something can be written into the paperwork that means the site can be protected. Appeal to the landowners sense of pride.

Sadly, if someone wants to vandalise something they will and for the Priddy it seems nobody cared to much. Seems nobody tried to stop the guy bulldozing.

I think there's merit it both points of view Drew. In all walks of life people will try and get away with something if they think they can and not be bothered about the consequences if the punishment is minimal. If a thug was told beforehand that he would get beaten within an inch of his life if he was to walk across the street and mug an old lady would he then do it? Unless he was completely mentally unstable I think the answer would be no, he wouldn't!

I wouldn't advocate the beating up of anybody, seems to me if you try to do something good then the reward is to be attacked. I'd use my energy trying to protect the site in the first place. It's easy to stand in front of a bulldozer, even easier to stop it.

I'm certainly not advocating the beating up of somebody for no good reason Drew.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
2nd August 2011ce
12:59

In reply to:

Re: More damage. (drewbhoy)

1 reply:

Re: More damage. (drewbhoy)

Messages in this topic: