The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Kilmartin Area Forum Start a topic | Search
Kilmartin Area
Re: I Would Like......
17 messages
Select a forum:
Howburn Digger wrote:
The Kilmartin House Trust published a big soft-backed glossy book called "Kilmartin - Scotland's Richest Prehistoric landscape - An Introduction and Guide " by Rachel Butters with photographs by David Lyons.
At about 110 pages it is NOT an exhaustive survey or a particularly detailed exploration of the area. It is very well illustrated and covers the Kilmartin Valley's main sites and looks at it in the wider context of Argyll.

It is here for the princely sum of £8.90 with free delivery.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kilmar[...]ape-Introduction/dp/095336741X

I was recommended that book when we went up there a few years back. So I bought it! :)

It was a nice little "introduction to everything" - a kind of "Jack of all trades" that mentions pretty much everything you want to see, but not in too great a detail. Worth having if it's your first visit.

My recommendation, however, is "The Prehistoric Rock Art of Kilmartin" by rock(art) god Stan Beckensall. The level of detail this man goes into far exceeds any other books I've seen. Probably, in some cases, more detail than the casual visitor might know (or, let's face it, cares! Their loss! :) ) existed! Like all his books, it's worth having. Brilliant.

G x

Reply | with quote
goffik
Posted by goffik
4th June 2011ce
23:37

In reply to:

Re: I Would Like...... (Howburn Digger)

Messages in this topic: