The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge
Re: Analysis of zircon crystals
69 messages
Select a forum:
nigelswift wrote:
Remember this story 5 years ago? http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_west/5072664.stm

OU geologists saying they'd analysed bluestone axe heads found at Stonehenge and found they'd come from different locations in the Presellis ergo backing up their earlier work on the bluestones themselves and pointing at glaciation.

Not sure why the origin of the bluestones and the origin of the axes are necessarily connected. Nor actually why "different locations" automatically indicates glaciation. Doesn't WKLB have "foreign" stone incorporated into it?

At the end of the day what does 'common sense' tell you. Glaciation or sheer darn hard and unrealistic work hauling not one stone but many 240 miles? I sometimes think we overestimate what our ancestors did. I don't suppose many of them even knew where Prescelli was let alone think it a good idea to punish themselves any more than they had to with such a gigantic enterprise. I'm all for the stones being reasonably close by.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
16th May 2011ce
07:31

In reply to:

Re: Analysis of zircon crystals (nigelswift)

Messages in this topic: