The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Trethevy Quoit Forum Start a topic | Search
Trethevy Quoit
Re: A clean slate? (or should that be granite?)
156 messages
Select a forum:
No. The camera cannot capture this effect; at least not the several cameras used to date. I am not a photographer, and whether it is possible to photograph this effect I do not know. All I do know is that it can be done: the sun can be observed through the aperture when it is high in the sky. Later in the PM, when the sun has travelled further to the west it can be observed through the 'virtual aperture' formed by the 'portal' stones, for want of a better name, and the effect is the same; the sun can be gazed upon. This, I know, flies in the face of the old advice..never look directly @ the sun, but it can be done, and I say again, come and try it. I am indebted to Professor North for pointing out the physics of this quality in ancient sites and I have to say that his thinking has formed the basis for the present study which without him could not have proceeded. But proceeded by leaps and bounds it has. Something of the techniques on show @ Newgrange and Loughcrew, (Cairn T), apply @ Trethevy but in the open air not underground. This is a complicated subject but I think I can supply a fairly cogent explanation of the Optical Dynamics, and the physics thereof, involved. This is all new ground, comrade, so please bear with me. Nobody has considered these aspects before, not even Lockyer, to whom I am also indebted, or even Stukely, for that matter. At the moment I am confident enough to stand by all I have said as regards Solar usage @ Trethevy; the evidence is compelling. I came here in search of an ancient astronomy, the basics of which none of us would disagree on, the evidence elsewhere is strong, and lately largely accepted. I found little that made sense in an acceptable 'archeoastronomical' way, apart from the fact that the quoit is perfectly situated for astronomy, like so many other sites; a natural observatory. It reveals itself in other ways, and these form the basis of the present study, which to be frank could not be more intensive. It is on this basis, and on this level that I am eager to answer any more questions.

David Kane.

Reply | with quote
Horsedrawn
Posted by Horsedrawn
3rd May 2011ce
22:38

Messages in this topic: