The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Avebury Forum Start a topic | Search
Avebury
Re: Wilts & Dorset X5 Service
41 messages
Select a forum:
tjj wrote:
Thanks for your wonderful rant tsc, I had a feeling you wouldn't be happy.

It's a backward step, and I think your Beeching analogy is very apt. After all, there were plenty of hidden agendas going on then as well.

Many of the lines that were closed by Beeching were perfectly viable, the overriding desire was to increase car use because that was what Beeching's Tory paymasters (including the pro-motorway transport minister) wanted. Most of the un-profitable lines had already been closed, long before Beeching (for example, the line that ran up to Princetown on Dartmoor was closed in the 40s or 50s - think what a tourist magent that would be now!). The cuts that were made on viable services had a devastating effect on our transport infrastructure, which has never recovered. There are campaigns to re-open some of the lines (like the Beverley line in E Yorks), but in the face of a high speed white elephant and increasing lack of funding, it's probably pissing in the wind at the moment.

The reductions in bus services move us further and further from ever getting a proper integrated transport system and even more to car use, which of course the government can tax more profitably.

You're right that I'm not happy.

Reply | with quote
thesweetcheat
Posted by thesweetcheat
24th April 2011ce
20:06

Messages in this topic: