The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge
Re: What no Stonehenge?
53 messages
Select a forum:
The Eternal wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
I was talking family matters yesterday on the phone with my cousin in Jersey until eventually we got into stones. This led to her asking me what my favourite sites were leaving anything in Jersey out. Without hesitation I replied Avebury, Callinish, Stenness, Brodgar and Scara Brae.
What no Stonehenge she asked? You know I hadn't even consider it, how odd is that, or is it?
I stopped and thought about it later in the day and yes, I really don't have an interest in it any more. Does anyone else feel like that?
I suppose it's because of the restrictions now and what seems to me to be the continual changing of ideas and the bottom line for me...just the continual hearing and reporting about the place as though nothing else matters. Am I alone here?

Sanctuary,
Stonehenge is a really special place, as there is nothing like it in the whole World.
However, the masses of people who are roaming around, most of them taken there, rather than choosing to be there, and the ones that do choose to be there are there because their "guide to the British Isles" tells them they should see it, put me off completely. You cannot see the site in daylight without crowds, or traffic for that matter.
Avebury, on the other hand, even when busy, still provides quiet spaces to wander, giving a totally different atmosphere.
If Stonehenge was quiet, it'd be interesting to experience which was best.
It'll never happen, though, will it?
So, Stonehenge, for me at least, isn't in my top 10. However, the surrounding landscape is, with its many barrow cemeteries, cursus, and other monuments.
Regards,
TE.

Definitely with you on the surrounding landscape TE. Spent a lot of time there when I lived in Hampshire. And of course I was your usual scallywag when a late teenager hopping over the roadside fence and doing the 'stone run' to the henge and out again before the cops arrived. Those were the days :D

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
12th February 2011ce
23:25

In reply to:

Re: What no Stonehenge? (The Eternal)

Messages in this topic: