The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge
Re: What no Stonehenge?
53 messages
Select a forum:
Gwass wrote:
Yeah me too, I feel I have to keep telling myself it is amazing. I should be enjoying this more. I think it's a victim of over exposure and over hyped. The old addage of under promise over perform and the feeling that less well known sites are more personal and people discover them for themselves rather than being told. If you forget about it and then revisit with an open mind and just experience it as a new thing without the preconceptions I think it's still possible to be moved.

It's unfashionable in our circles to get enthused about it but you have to keep reminding yourself of the significance and achievement of it's construction, also who are we to pick and choose which of our ancestors acheievements we appreciate, it meant a lot to them. It's part of the culture we all love. The fact that it's presented in such an abhorrent way (70's potrakabin, subway) doesn't help with the atmosphere. I'd love to do an after hours visit and get inside the stones.

I think the 'getting up and personal' with a site is of huge importance to me Gwass. Now that you can't do that at Stonehenge it killed it stone dead for me as I just detest the 'herding' approach from a distance. I am so glad that I was given permission years ago to spend the whole night within its confines to take effect photos on a moonlit night (shame we never saw the moon once!!) as it gave me the opportunity to move freely amongst it. The moment that was removed the magic was gone for me and frustration set in.
We are just so fantastically lucky to have such a heritage open to us elswhere where we can still roam free and get personal with these sites and free our minds of the shackles placed on it by modern society...but I don't have to tell you that!

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
12th February 2011ce
09:14

In reply to:

Re: What no Stonehenge? (Gwass)

2 replies:

Re: What no Stonehenge? (deee)
Re: What no Stonehenge? (summerlands)

Messages in this topic: