The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Dartmoor Forum Start a topic | Search
Dartmoor
Re: Time Team Reservoir Rituals
58 messages
Select a forum:
tiompan wrote:
Gwass wrote:
So it wasn't a stone henge after all but a stone circle. I'm surprised they made that mistake on their own website.

Anyway who cares, I thoroughly enjoyed it anyway. I thought the mesolithic aspect was particularly interesting that it was still being reveered in the bronze age.

A bit like the totem poles at Stonehenge or the neolithic long house found at Warren Field in Aberdeenshire recently which was near to a large mesolithis post alignment.

The mound reminded me of a book I read recently called a gathering night, set is Scotland in the mesolithic. They used a sacred mound for rituals to contact animal spirits. Would be good to get others views.

I thought it was one of the best episodes as most of the prehistoric ones tend to be and it's definitely whetted my appetite even more for a trip to the dartmoor sites.

Negativity alert .
There seemed an undue haste in ascribing the post hole and some of the flint to the mesolithic .
The pit alignment at Warren Field like others asscociated with the Scots "timber halls "didn't hold timber .
Totem poles at Stonehenge ? we don't know that .
I enjoyed the prog though .

Ok mesolithic post holes then. I guess that they had their reasons for confirming them as mesolithic but the constraints of an hour long program probably meant that these fell victim to the editing process so I feel happy to defer to the experts.

I thought the Warren Field ones were confirmed to have held posts. If my memory serves me correctly which is by no means definitely the case!

I know a lot of their claims get rubbished on here and I'm not saying they're always right but I bought into it anyway.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Gwass
6th February 2011ce
19:43

In reply to:

Re: Time Team Reservoir Rituals (tiompan)

Messages in this topic: