The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Saith Maen Forum Start a topic | Search
Saith Maen
Re: What criteria for a natural TMA monument?
67 messages
Select a forum:
tiompan wrote:

Scotti is a Roman name for Irish raiders , William Skene Prof of Celtic stufies circa 1850 started the Scotti myth .It has long since been refuted and is no longer taught . Ewan Campbell excavator of Dunadd questions this .He notes three problems 1)Evidence of migrations come from later chronicles ,while earlier texts do not record it. 2)Archaeological evidence does not record this migration and if anything suggests influence flowing from Scotland to Ireland. 3) He suggests that the rise of Dalriada came from an internal change, and may quite reasonably have come from a warrior group crossing from Antrim to Argyll in the 6th C. The fluidity of movement across the Irish Sea in all directiions and all points from Cumbria ,IoM ,Dumfries & Galloway suggets something far more complex than the Skene hypothesis . The Scots i.e. inhabitants of Scotland are like those of most places ,mongrels.

Thank you for that, I suppose all these little kingdoms were bedevilled by tall tale telling in the chronicles written around the time, very similar I suppose to the 'saints' of Wales in the 6th century who were often just as much warrior as monk. The shifting around of power in these small kingdoms was the result of the vacuum the roman withdrawal left.

Reply | with quote
moss
Posted by moss
26th February 2011ce
20:20

Messages in this topic: