The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Saith Maen Forum Start a topic | Search
Saith Maen
Re: What criteria for a natural TMA monument?
67 messages
Select a forum:
GLADMAN wrote:
My recent visit to Saith Maen confirmed that the giant shake hole a few yards to the north of the site must surely have been part of the original 'vision'. Surely? Just wondering what people have to say about:

1) what criteria need to be met to class an obviously natural feature as a genuine TMA prehistoric ritualistic site? E.g Sacred Hill, rock feature etc.
2) what other examples are there out there, aside from Capel Garmon and Bryn Celli Ddu?

Gladman, hope you don't mind me referring back to this topic. I found myself thinking of you last evening as I went to a talk titled The Invention of Prehistoric Sacred Places by Bob Trubshaw.

A full house and a very good speaker. Bob Trubshaw talked a bit about how the concept of 'nature', 'countryside' and 'landscape' are relatively modern and we have an idealised view of nature. Quite hard to sum up in a few words so I bought his book which he was selling at a greatly reduced price "Sacred Places - Prehistory and Popular Imagination" (ISBN 1 872883 67 2)

In his talk the speaker looked at some of the places we consider sacred - mountain tops, caves, groves, sources of water and came to the possibility that sacred can sometimes equate with terrifying. He also mentioned altitude sickness which causes some mountaineers to experience visions. The book looks like a good read.

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
25th February 2011ce
14:02

Messages in this topic: