The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Saith Maen Forum Start a topic | Search
Saith Maen
Re: What criteria for a natural TMA monument?
67 messages
Select a forum:
GLADMAN wrote:
postman wrote:
Ooh I thought I was finally going to find out what on earth a shake hole is, of course ive seen plenty of 'em but thought they were some kind of surface mining jobby.
If it isnt, I dont see how it cant have been involved in the monument, the one at Saith maen is deep and I wouldnt like to take a tumble down it, nor would an ancient stone watcher, therefore it must be an integral part of the whole.

Glad to hear you are of the same opinion. Shake holes are completely natural, caused by the limestone dissolving and collapsing in on itself... so for a stone row to just happen to be placed dangerously close to the edge of one is surely not gonna happen. What could have been the idea though? The entrance to the underworld or something?

There's a much bigger one 108m across as opposed to 18m about 180 metres to the north . The mining stuff is sometimes a bell pit .

Reply | with quote
tiompan
Posted by tiompan
4th January 2011ce
20:53

Messages in this topic: