The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Saith Maen Forum Start a topic | Search
Saith Maen
Re: What criteria for a natural TMA monument?
67 messages
Select a forum:
thesweetcheat wrote:
postman wrote:
Ooh I thought I was finally going to find out what on earth a shake hole is, of course ive seen plenty of 'em but thought they were some kind of surface mining jobby.
If it isnt, I dont see how it cant have been involved in the monument, the one at Saith maen is deep and I wouldnt like to take a tumble down it, nor would an ancient stone watcher, therefore it must be an integral part of the whole.

From the wonders of Wikipedia:

A sinkhole, also known as a sink, shake hole, swallow hole, swallet, doline or cenote, is a natural depression or hole in the Earth's surface caused by karst processes — the chemical dissolution of carbonate rocks or suffosion processes for example in sandstone. Sinkholes may vary in size from 1 to 600 meters (3.3 to 2,000 ft) both in diameter and depth, and vary in form from soil-lined bowls to bedrock-edged chasms. They may be formed gradually or suddenly, and are found worldwide. These terms are often used interchangeably, though many distinguish between features a surface stream flows into and features with no such input. Only the former are described as sinks, swallow holes or swallets.

Problems with acepting them as being associated with monuments is dating them , maybe they appeared after the monument and in general they are not associated with monuments . However there is one near the Thornborough henges at Nosterfield , and loads on the hill beside the Hardy monument near Dorchester with as many tumuli on the hill too . Often they are in upland areas with little settelment and monuments e.g. the Pennines .

Reply | with quote
tiompan
Posted by tiompan
4th January 2011ce
19:19

Messages in this topic: