The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge
Re: Ball bearings used to build Stonehenge
62 messages
Select a forum:
[quote="tjj"
I haven't really entered into discussions on how the massive stones at Stonehenge may have been moved - would have thought a combination of levers, ropes, rolling-logs, sledges and sheer man power. Is there any evidence of Neolithic people using wheels (they existed in the Middle East from around that time).

tjj[/quote]

I've never seen or heard of any evidence of it June, but an idea I did like was the 'cotton reel' theory which was 'wheelie'. It would take some setting up but would certainly move a stone quickly. Basically they wrapped wood of various thicknesses around a stone so that it was rounded on its length then put a turn of rope around it so that when pulled it rolled along like a cotton reel. It would have been very effective and could probabley have dealth with roughter terrain quire well in comparison to other methods. It's a fascinating subject that no doubt will 'roll' on for years to come yet, but won't we all look stupid if at the end of the day we are all missing something so blindingly obvious!!

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
19th November 2010ce
08:41

Messages in this topic: