The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Silbury Hill Forum Start a topic | Search
Silbury Hill
Re: The Story of Silbury Hill - Paperback
77 messages
Select a forum:
tjj wrote:
Sanctuary
Just want to say how enjoyable this discussion has been - and ironic as it appears neither you or Tiompan have seen the book. I have refrained from joining in as haven't fully read the book yet (I'm on the very last bit of Stieg Larsson trilogy and having read the other two books - will be ready for some serious non-fiction when I finish). I think the Silbury book is a must have, there is a lot more in it than looking at the recent conservation work and the construction of the mound. The authors take its history up to the Romans and into medieval period (11th century) when it appears to have been modified and perhaps used as a convenient look-out point along the old Roman road.
My copy was heavily discounted from W.H.Smith online.

Hi June, glad you're enjoying the book. No we've not read it, just going by the press reports, EH review and JL's radio interview. It's quite amazing the different views expressed when people offer their reasons for it being built. Only last week a quite serious person I know still reckoned it was built to support a lighted beacon. He may be completely right of course but it seems a hell of a lot of work to do over 100 years to just have a beacon on the summit. I suppose at the end of the day it matters little how it was built (heaven forbid) other than as a record of neolithic mans (oop's and ladies skills, the WHY being the holy grail!! I for one will look forward to you reviewing the book for us as and when. Mind you, you mentioned the word DISCOUNT which is one of my fave words so Smith's in cyberspace may well be getting a call.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
29th October 2010ce
20:02

Messages in this topic: