The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Silbury Hill Forum Start a topic | Search
Silbury Hill
Re: The Story of Silbury Hill - Paperback
77 messages
Select a forum:
Wild Wooder wrote:

Part of the EH blurb:
In the new book The Story of Silbury Hill, all these emerging evidence have given rise to a radical new theory: Silbury Hill was not a single construction project and that the builders did not have any blueprint in mind. Instead, the creators were building the mound as part of a continuous storytelling ritual and the importance of the shape that we see now is of secondary importance.

I wonder how many people will go along with that theory? I don't for one. Such a huge project as this MUST have had a set reason for doing it surely. Just because it was built in stages (JL suggests 15 at least) doesn't neccessarily follow that it was done in a piecemeal way. I hope it doesn't become the accepted explanation as the hill and its builders deserve better IMO. It is still my opinion that the the hill was just one part of a Complex that was purposely designed with an aim in mind and not just a randon thing like is being suggested as I understand it.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
28th October 2010ce
06:29

Messages in this topic: