The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Eire Forum Start a topic | Search
Eire
Re: Ireland - recommendations?
15 messages
Select a forum:
Eardrum wrote:
I'm getting married at the end of September, and we are taking our honeymoon in Ireland. We plan to visit some of the stones whilst there.

Looking for some recommendations.

We will be staying at the following places:

Dublin
Carlow
Kilkenny
Waterford
Cork City
Killarney
Limerick

all recommendations gratefully received!

To add a layman's view to the locals' already posted, but assuming time will be at a premium ....

Dublin - if you can manage a diversion north, the Boyne tombs may be Ireland's Stonehenge, but nevertheless an essential visit. Or if the crowds don't appeal, Fourknocks near Naul. Or Tara!

Carlow - travelling from Dublin, Athgreany's Pipers are well worth a visit along the way; nearby Castleruddery, too. Then there's Haroldstown and Browne's Hill... cracking cromlechs, both.

Kilkenny - I doubt anyone could fail to be impressed by Kilmogue...

Waterford - Knockeen, and Gaulstown... both excellent

Cork - where do we start? Personally I'd take the trio of superb circles at Drombeg, Bohonagh and Reansacreena (arguably the finest 'stone circle' day in these Isles) with untold 'recent' history en-route. Or else Carrigagulla (near Ballynagree) is one of the most beguilling circles I've seen. The Island(Burnfoot) and Labbacallee wedges are also top class..........

Killarney... not a lot obvious in the immediate area... but a drive onto the Beara... well , take your pick. Ardgroom, Drombohilly etc. My favouriite - though a bit further afield - is Gurteen.

Limerick... ah, It's got to be the Lois, hasn't it?

To be honest you'll find worthwhile stuff everywhere. Don't suppose your soon to be has a sister. How lucky are you? Enjoy.

Reply | with quote
GLADMAN
Posted by GLADMAN
20th August 2010ce
19:53

In reply to:

Ireland - recommendations? (Eardrum)

1 reply:

Re: Ireland - recommendations? (TheStandingStone)

Messages in this topic: