The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: In defence of maps
71 messages
Select a forum:
Littlestone wrote:
Aye, reminds me of one of Nicholas Crane's Map Man progs where he shows an old English map made up of vertical strips with a track that continues from the bottom of one strip to the top of the next - each strip with pictorial features from the surrounding landscape.

Maps on a variation of this carried on well into the 20th century, somewhere I have some little pocket sized books called something like "The Contour Book Of The Road", which shows the contours that the motorist would encounter as they go along particular roads. This was from a time where a lot of cars couldn't really handle some of the hills.

I inherited them from my Dad, who was an even bigger map-head than I am (he also left me about 500 early 20th century OS and Bartholomews maps covering most of Britain).

Reply | with quote
thesweetcheat
Posted by thesweetcheat
4th August 2010ce
19:23

In reply to:

Re: In defence of maps (Littlestone)

2 replies:

Re: In defence of maps (tiompan)
Re: In defence of maps (thesweetcheat)

Messages in this topic: