The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Trethevy Quoit Forum Start a topic | Search
Trethevy Quoit
Re: Trevethy Quoit
107 messages
Select a forum:
Littlestone wrote:
Knights etching of 1845 shows the Quoit as it is now...all be it surrounded by midget sheep!. I think that if it had been re-erected it would have been done by the Victorians..which it wasn't.

Think Victoria reigned from 1837 to 1901, Mr H, (so that would put Knight’s print into the Victorian timeframe). It could have been erected a few centuries earlier though – lifting gear for heavier stuff would certainly have been fairly common. Question is, would anyone bother? Is it on private land or on an estate once owned by a wealthy landowner (who might have thought it worthwhile erecting as a ‘landscape feature’).

Interesting that in this drawing the 'fallen' stone is not shown. Why would that be? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Trethevyborlase2.jpg

IF the quoit had fallen in the past and been re-erected, then I suppose anyone (such as people like ourselves) interested in the ruin could have done it and at any time. And if it was lying around for a considerable time it is possible that certain stones may well have been reassembled incorrectly. I'm currently working on that puzzle because as I've said before that is the feeling I get when I look at it through the eyes of a person who has been in the construction industry all his working life.
There had to be much more to the 'mound' originally though, that, I believe is quite obvious. If the uprights are barely in the ground (just enough to station them) then the soil/stones banked up against them would have to be quite substantial to hold it all in place to be able to (slide?) the capstone into place. This suggests to me that the orthostats would have been certainly completely covered inside and out to even give this a chance of succeeding. These were ordinary folk of their time who would have recognised the easiest way of achieving this and completely enveloped them in soil/stone to stabilise the whole thing first. Once the capstone was on then the side slabs could have been put into position (if not already there) as the soil/stones were gradually removed. No doubt a ramp would have been part of the original build and at the same inclination as the capstone.

All of that apart it is the most wonderful thing to just stop and stare at and I feel priviledged to be able to do so whenever I choose after a few minutes drive.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
21st April 2011ce
14:06

In reply to:

Re: Trevethy Quoit (Littlestone)

1 reply:

Re: Trevethy Quoit (Mr Hamhead)

Messages in this topic: