The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Trethevy Quoit Forum Start a topic | Search
Trethevy Quoit
Re: Trevethy Quoit
107 messages
Select a forum:
Megalithics wrote:

The main thing about Trevethy that bugs us is that the backstone is too tall to fit under the roof slab at its current angle. The side slabs fit the slant perfectly and the roof slab just "looks right" as it is. Barring time travel, we'll probably never know the answer.

Maggie & Keith

Yes the backstone is a mystery and I wonder if it should be somewhere else. That is entirely possible if you believe that it has been messed with like I do. Take a look at the two side stones on the right-hand side as you stand at the tall end. Have you noticed that they both have the same cut angle that the capping stone sits on and BOTH stones are the same height but one forward of the other with about 30" of gap between the slope and the capstone. Now, I think there is a possibility that it belongs on the other side opposite the other matched one which would make perfect sense. As for the rest...well it needs figuring. I'm going to have a real look at it over the next few weeks to see if I can mix and match the stones more. And I've mentioned before the sidestone with what appears to have a cut-out similar to the front closure stone. That needs figuring too.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
1st August 2010ce
20:14

In reply to:

Re: Trevethy Quoit (Megalithics)

Messages in this topic: