The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge and its Environs Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge and its Environs
Re: ANOTHER henge found half a mile from Stonehenge!
63 messages
Select a forum:
tjj wrote:
I just caught quite an in depth report on News 24 including an interview with Vince Gaffney and footage of Stonehenge and surrounding landscape.

What I found exciting is that this was discovered by use of hi-tec scanners, not a trowel in sight. Really good news; the idea of a dig taking place say somewhere like Boscawen-un, a place so elemental and peaceful filled me with a shudder.

Although the stones at Boscawen-un has been heavily restored, so it's not entirely "as found" either. Boskednan circle has benefited greatly from having some of its fallen stones re-erected in the last 10 years, even Merry Maidens had three stones re-erected in the 19th century too. All of which present opportunities to have a poke about without causing damage. One time we went to Nine Ladies in the Peak District and it was being excavated - although it kind of detracted while it was going on, you would never know it had happened now.

But yes, better technology means that digs can be targeted more accurately and only go ahead when there's a pretty good chance of being worthwhile. Gone (mostly) are the speculative treasure-hunter trenches of old. Although, on a (slightly) related matter I saw on the news today that the bloke who found the "largest ever Roman coin hoard" (tm) in Somerset is set to get a big payout as it has been classed as treasure. I hope this doesn't encourage yet more night time digging at monuments.

Reply | with quote
thesweetcheat
Posted by thesweetcheat
22nd July 2010ce
18:38

Messages in this topic: