The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Avebury Forum Start a topic | Search
Avebury
Re: Avebury Henge
10 messages
Select a forum:
Rhiannon wrote:
Well they are banks and ditches. So I suppose you must be unhappy with the ceremonies bit. But ceremonies is quite a vague / all-encompassing kind of idea? Am I right in thinking that the insides of (ordinary) henges are usually very 'clean' with hardly any finds like wot you'd expect anywhere else? (I might be wrong) And they're not full of burials. And they're not usually places people lived (going by the finds). So isn't 'ceremonies' actually quite a good catch-all for whatever else you might do in them, presumeably something unusual or special? Even a football match you could call a ceremony if you stretched it far enough.

Yes the ceremonies bit...thought if they were going to make a claim of this nature they could have said it was a 'possibility'. Regarding the footy or 'something special' what about 2012, any suggestions? What about the opening ceremony as they're so keen on them?

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
21st July 2010ce
19:06

In reply to:

Re: Avebury Henge (Rhiannon)

Messages in this topic: