The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Trethevy Quoit Forum Start a topic | Search
Trethevy Quoit
Re: Trethevy Quoit
14 messages
Select a forum:
Megalithics wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
Something else I find interesting Megalithics is a side stone that has a 'cut-out' very similar to the front closure stone.

Well spotted, we hadn't noticed that, the two are, as you say, very similar.

Maggie & Keith

It is an intriguing and gem of a site that's for sure. Part of it looks right, but the remainder sort of looks like is has been taken apart and replaced incorrectly with too many large gaps which would have allowed rubble and fill to penetrate the central structure as it was covered. This alone would suggest that it is not now as it used to be. I wonder what the possibility is that the side stone with the angled cut-out was once another closure/entrance stone now upturned? You will notice that the eastern side has two stones that are evenly cut with the same angled slope so to me that suggests that this was the original slope of the capstone if they are an original feature. The western side looks to me like the side where the confusion comes in as it looks a bit of a mish-mash with only the rear side stone being angled correctly and in keeping with the east side. That still leaves that fallen-in end stone to mull over!

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
13th May 2010ce
11:13

In reply to:

Re: Trethevy Quoit (Megalithics)

Messages in this topic: