The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Cornwall Forum Start a topic | Search
Cornwall
Re: A question about a holed stone in Penwith
14 messages
Select a forum:
thesweetcheat wrote:
GLADMAN wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:
Pretty sure it's a modern addition June, although I've never seen it before. There are quite a number of megalithic follies around Penwith (there's even a fake stone circle near the coast path between St Ives and Zennor!).

There are some holed stones at Tregeseal, though, aren't there? - although I've never actually got to them being near to such a fantastic 'circle. Plus Odin's stone at Stenness, of course.

Interesting... with the discussions we had recently about the prehistoric pedigree of cairns, I guess the same arguments apply to standing stones?
How do we know, without excavation, whether a standing stone is the real deal or just erected by a farmer as a scratching post?

You're right, we don't! Our recent trip to the North York moors was interesting, there are lots of standing stones (some very large) but very little evidence one way or another of prehistoric-ness.

The holed stones at Tregeseal are great:

http://www.themodernantiquaria[...]73/tregeseal_holed_stones.html

and there is a holed stone in use as a gatepost even nearer to Merry Maidens which seems to be generally accepted as ancient even though we've all seen hundreds of suspiciously megalithic gateposts (particularly in the SW and the Peak District).

http://www.themodernantiquaria[...]e/4822/choone_holed_stone.html

Many thanks for your comments tsc (and Gladman). I agree it seems like a recent siting, the hole is very smooth and follows the shape of the stone. I just wondered if anyone knew the background - as with the new maze near Looe.

Tsc, I thought of you today as did a great 11 mile walk starting at Andoversford - taking in sections of the Gloucestershire and Cotswold Ways, no ancient monuments but loads of bluebell woods. A very beautiful part of the country indeed. At one point we could see as far as Shropshire - one of the group pointed to Wrekin Hill.

atb
june

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
9th May 2010ce
17:22

Messages in this topic: