The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Avebury Forum Start a topic | Search
Avebury
Re: sounds unlikely
68 messages
Select a forum:
I'm afraid I'll have to agree to disagree!

Selective picking to support a theory is only valid if one can proactively explain why anything that doesn't fit.

Just off the top of my head I'd like an explanation to include Falkner's Circle, all of the long and round barrows within a radius at least as long as the avenues, the palisade enclosures and Windmill Hill. Not to mention the natural landscape features.

Also, one-offs obviously exist and cannot be discounted on that basis alone, but despite Avebury's obviously unique nature, it draws parallels with several sites across Wessex and wider afield. If the Avebury WHS monuments were deliberately laid out over several hundred years in the shape of a giant figure, we'd expect to see something vaguely similar elsewhere.

Finally I've just looked at the map again, sorry, seems less plausible than ever to me. But I am a sceptic and unbeliever about many theories, some of which I'm sure have a degree of truth. :-)

Reply | with quote
juamei
Posted by juamei
20th April 2010ce
20:42

In reply to:

Re: sounds unlikely (Sanctuary)

1 reply:

Re: sounds unlikely (Sanctuary)

Messages in this topic: