The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Avebury Forum Start a topic | Search
Avebury
Re: sounds interesting
68 messages
Select a forum:
If you are going to build a figure incorporating parts of the surrounding landscape then why have the largest component (Waden Hill ) in the middle of the figure eyt not include it the figure .As mentioned earlier it seems more logical to build it elsewhere , the natural components are common enough rivers and springs just find someplace where there the most prominent component will have to be ignored .quote]

Well looking back at TJM's post she said that the positioning of the figure was 'totally dependant' on the location of the Ridgeway Path, the Winterbourne stream, the R.Kennet and the Swallowhead Springs. Well if the Winterbourne was the 'lifeblood' of the figure and ran through the main body, then no, Waden Hill would not be included, it just happened to be there! And the map does show it being offset to where the main body would be doesn't it (sort of under the arm in your shopping bag manner).
I can definitely see where the theory comes from though because is it by pure chance that the lifeblood stream that runs through the suggested body runs around Silbury (and into its ditch via the tributary that has been purposely cut off it) then on to the Kennet where the Springs are? It actually does looked planned to me and I'm finding this much more interesting as we go along.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
19th April 2010ce
20:59

In reply to:

Re: sounds interesting (tiompan)

1 reply:

Re: sounds interesting (nigelswift)

Messages in this topic: