The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Lincolnshire and Humberside Forum Start a topic | Search
Lincolnshire and Humberside
Re: Lincolns bypass to go though only barrow cemetery!
29 messages
Select a forum:
tjj wrote:
I don't know if this will be of any help, I just found this item in the Wiltshire Wildlife Trust magazine for January 2010. If the objective is to stop the bypass being built then all environmental aspects should be pursued.

The Trust has welcomed the government’s decision to refuse planning permission for the proposed Westbury Bypass.
The Trust objected at the Public Inquiry last year as the proposals showed a loss for biodiversity rather than the wildlife gain required by various government policies and objectives. There was scope for wildlife to have benefited from more extensive habitat creation but the county council chose not to include this.

This was a national test case, the strength of our legal argument rested on whether the various government policies requiring biodiversity enhancement were Planning Policies, enforceable in law, or just vague aspirations.

While the bypass was turned down mainly on landscape grounds, the Inspector did consider our wildlife arguments.

While de didn’t he did think they merited further consideration by the Minister, so the need for clear and enforceable policy to achieve biodiversity enhancement alongside developments is now sitting on the Minister’s desk …

Development has played a big part in threatening our wildlife - given the scale of the Government’s development plans it needs to play an equally big part in helping to restore it.
Bill Jenman
Head of Biodiversity Action – Wiltshire Wildlife Trust.

I did a bit of reading up on the proposed Westbury Bypass and several voluntary orgainsations had banded together to fight it.
I quite liked this (the image of the white horse kicking a lorry off the hill)
http://www.corridor-alliance.co.uk/latestnews.html

Thanks a lot,ha ha didn't know them chalk figures could do that (could do with one round here) better watch the cerne abbas giant though oh uh!!!!

Reply | with quote
bladup
Posted by bladup
22nd February 2010ce
15:41

Messages in this topic: