The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Lincolnshire and Humberside Forum Start a topic | Search
Lincolnshire and Humberside
Lincolns bypass to go though only barrow cemetery!
29 messages
Select a forum:
Lincolns proposed eastern bypass is going to pass straight though lincolns only known (existing) barrow cemetry!!! (at least 12 barrows), some of these barrows are scheduled ancient monuments!!!, but the course of the road misses the scheduled ones and goes though at least 3 barrows that arn't scheduled (surprise, surprise). I think that when new roads are being built (don't we have enough?) its all very well finding things as you go but a little different when you already know they're there! I've tried speaking to the council, they say english heritage back all the plans!! ( i thought they were meant to protect our heritage not agree to destroy it!!), This site is of massive cultural importance to Lincoln (and the country), for understanding the place in prehistory, not just the roman history ( the only history most people know of the place). I have also found what looks like a big henge ( Nearly thornborough size) + earthworks to the south west of it right next to the proposed road ( see explorer map 272- 006 717). You can see the site from the air on google earth though pastscape (type in lincoln castle and go to aerial photograph, find the site using the explorer map and numbers given above, the road passes though the top half of the site), the site is ( bank + ditch) clearly visible on site. I feel like i'm up against a wall and getting nowhere, What should i do? The $%^&*@#s have me down but not beat, I have declared war on them if they go ahead!! Does anybody know where i stand or have any-ways to help?

Reply | with quote
bladup
Posted by bladup
18th February 2010ce
19:46

Messages in this topic: