The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Wales Forum Start a topic | Search
Wales
Re: Welsh King making Stone
40 messages
Select a forum:
moss wrote:
Wales has never had a reigning king, just lots of little kingdoms....

I guess one of the fascinating factors of Welsh history is the assertion of dominance/overlordship (perceived or actual) by the rulers of Gwynedd over the rest of Wales. Of course the fact that Gwynedd's very landscape is in effect a natural fortress helped them no end in this respect.... prime territory for guerilla warfare against any invader, as the English kings were to find out.

This tendency between 'them and us' is still very much prevalent today in the relationship between North and South Walians...check out Julian's experiences with the 'old biddies' in Betws-y-Coed for an obvious example. The English North/South divide with massive bells on. The Welsh are a passionate people, and emotions run high, both good and bad. From what I have observed over the last 25 years or so it is this inter-rivalry which I would say prevented Wales truly uniting under one king. Not the Llewelyns, or even Glyndwr could do it since there was always someone who thought he was being hard done by and could get a better deal by siding with the Normans/English.

Pragmatic or short-sighted? Dunno... guess it depends on your viewpoint, but perhaps this is why there is no Welsh stone.

Reply | with quote
GLADMAN
Posted by GLADMAN
16th January 2010ce
15:02

In reply to:

Re: Welsh King making Stone (moss)

Messages in this topic: