The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Ballynoe Forum Start a topic | Search
Ballynoe
Re: Owner refusing access...
38 messages
Select a forum:
faerygirl wrote:
CianMcLiam wrote:
Same story here, incredibly he tried to tell me it was gone, then it was never there, eventually 'there's no visitors anyway'... That was way back in 2004 or 2005.

Technically there is supposed to be a right of way along the banks of rivers (one passes near the tomb) but you would still be trespassing at the site itself.

SURELY they cant do that?? Its not THEIR monument!! I would be climbing fences, and if he wants to phone the police then they can come and get me, you shouldn't be allowed to stop people from seeing these things, they are sacred to some of us

OOOOOOOOOOO this guy has made me so mad I feel like booking a ticket to Ireland, watch if I dont get my photo gggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Well he owns the land so he is perfectly within his rights to refuse access however disappointing that may be. Here, the owner had much more control over his/her land than in Britain. We have very little 'ramblers rights' and although all ancient sites are protected by law very few are in State ownership. As for the sites being sacred...there really aren't that many neo-pagans in Ireland...I have never bumped into any. I'm sure others with more experience of these sites in Ireland have met some but really it's still a Catholic country so only a handful would consider them 'sacred'.

Reply | with quote
TheStandingStone
Posted by TheStandingStone
17th January 2010ce
23:53

In reply to:

Re: Owner refusing access... (faerygirl)

Messages in this topic: