The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   The Timoney Stones Forum Start a topic | Search
The Timoney Stones
Multiple alignments.
33 messages
Select a forum:
I revisited these stones this weekend and was delighted that the cattle were only in one of the fields so I was free to roam the others. I had previously thought that the bulk of the stones were in the fields on the right of the track as you ascend it, with only a few on the left. However, if you go over the gate at the end of the trackway and into that field, it will lead you to many interesting stones. These were mainly pairs and they were mostly on a North-South or East-West axis. One pair had no alignment but they were blade shaped stones and the longer edges were aligned E-W. In the fields to the right of the track there appeared to be many stone pairs also and at least three stone rows consisting of between three and six stone. Two even joined to make a right angle. I was glad to find these alignments since there seems to be a lot of confusion over the stones. Are these alignments the key to understanding these stones? They do seem to dominate their layout.

Has anybody else noticed this or have any info to add to it?

Reply | with quote
TheStandingStone
Posted by TheStandingStone
5th October 2009ce
12:59

Messages in this topic: