The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Coldrum Forum Start a topic | Search
Coldrum
Re: Avebury trees for the chop
44 messages
Select a forum:
nigelswift wrote:

Here's another spookily similar case - http://www.thisisgloucestershi[...]cle-615519-detail/article.html

The issue is very simple and very important. If a place is nationally important, who should decide on how it is curated - the heritage protection system & professionals or the local parish councillors? No contest so far as I'm concerned, the clue's in the word, nationally.

And if the place is internationally important then having the parish and district councils deciding it's fate is just grotesque.

Oh my god. I wasn't aware of that, and it's in my own county. I also note the irony of disturbing a prehistoric site (albeit not a ceremonial one) to make room for a garden of remembrance - interesting how ritual treatment of death has developed over the millenia!

I totally agree about the nonsensical nature of the "decision making process" - as you say, why have national and international heritage bodies if a tin-pot local council can do what it likes anyway?

Reply | with quote
thesweetcheat
Posted by thesweetcheat
16th January 2009ce
15:21

In reply to:

Re: Avebury trees for the chop (nigelswift)

Messages in this topic: