The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Long Meg & Her Daughters Forum Start a topic | Search
Long Meg & Her Daughters
Re: Hey hey, another wet day
23 messages
Select a forum:
Hi G
As I think I've mentioned before I get a bit lost on astro stuff, azimuths and such like. I much prefer the looser idea of rough orientations. Although I have to admit that some sites do have a precise encoding I believe many have a general idea, linked to a cosmology of cardinal points.

I have a problem with the interpretation of the monuments of eastern Cumbria which hinges around the cultural preception of the area. Because it's Cumbria and Cumbria generally means the fells there's a sort of assumption by some that the landscape orientation of many of the monuments are associated with the central fells.
When I visit the area the overall impression I get is the Pennines and the rivers, Eden, Eamont, Lowther and Lyvennet, the fertile valley, the mystical river, with it's blood red stone sandstones, the bones of the earth white limestone, the full-on madness of the Helm wind that blows out of nowhere with a force that can uproot trees or take the roof from a house, a wind that blows down from a hill that was deemed so wicked that they had to send a saint up there to exorcise it. The self same hill that dominates Long Meg, Little Meg, Glassonby and is framed in the entrance when looking out from Mayburgh Henge.

fitzranter.

Reply | with quote
fitzcoraldo
Posted by fitzcoraldo
3rd September 2008ce
22:59

In reply to:

Re: Hey hey, another wet day (tiompan)

2 replies:

Re: Hey hey, another wet day (tiompan)
Rust Never Sleets (Stoneshifter)

Messages in this topic: