The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Long Meg & Her Daughters Forum Start a topic | Search
23 messages
Select a forum:
The rain drives Nick's watermill, of course.

There was no GPS in the prehistoric era so no reason to use it now with the alignments, which are everywhere. Someone's posted a collection off the 1" maps, I think. But what do you include as a set? Six alignments from one site is my record, but the original monument, a four-poster stone circle, was pulled out twenty five years ago, or so.

I've found a new barrow, near the Hexham road, outskirts of Alston, if anyone wants a map reference and will promise to take some photographs and to list them here. The Whitehouse four-poster, half a mile up the road, is still unphotographed also. No point in eulogising the large member of the family and ignoring the smaller ones.

Without looking at Thom's book I recall that his alignments were from the geometric centre of the sisters to Long Meg and also from there to Little Meg and Fiends Fell. I know also that each stone in the circle will have indicated something else somehow.

Reply | with quote
Stoneshifter
Posted by Stoneshifter
3rd September 2008ce
21:58

Messages in this topic: