The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Long Meg & Her Daughters Forum Start a topic | Search
Long Meg & Her Daughters
Re: Hey hey, another wet day
23 messages
Select a forum:
fitzcoraldo wrote:
Hi G
I presume Mick’s alignment is the midwinter sun which was recorded by Thom.
Thom also recorded an alignment between Long Meg, Little Meg and Fiends Fell.
This alignment indicated the rising point of the sun on or around the two quarter days that fall midway between the spring equinox and summer solstice and between the summer solstice and Autumn equinox.
Anderson also suggested an alignment along the same line from the centre of Castlerigg via the second and now lost, outlier which indicated the rising point of the sun on or around May Day.
All blagged from John Waterhouses wonderful book, The Stone Circles of Cumbria.
Oh Yeh, I much prefer a moody Meg to a sunny one.

cheers
fitz

Hi Fitz , the problem I have with the Long Meg astro stuff is really the suggestion that there is some sort of alignment between the centre the entrance and Long Meg .Burl mentions it a couple of times but aerial views and plans show it is askew . However the situation is always going to provide solstice "alignments " between combinations of centre to LM and centre through entrance . Pure pedantry .

Reply | with quote
tiompan
Posted by tiompan
3rd September 2008ce
21:50

In reply to:

Re: Hey hey, another wet day (fitzcoraldo)

1 reply:

Re: Hey hey, another wet day (fitzcoraldo)

Messages in this topic: