The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Conkwell Forum Start a topic | Search
Conkwell
Re: Moss and Mis-information
11 messages
Select a forum:
Chance wrote:

Hi moss

Not sure if you are referring to the stone circle or Jug's grave when you say "it has stones in the middle". Guess it's the latter. If so, then yes it could had been a kerbed barrow before it was raided for stones, to make up the nearby road.
When Rhiannon first posted the site, she mentions "the more elaborate gold 'sun disc' found in a Lansdown barrow." Unfortunately the TMA eds removed the site (3422), but is one of those up by the racecourse, a valley over from Charmy Down.
I was under the impression that the airfield on Charmy Down was a fighter station, built to defend Bath from further attack after the 3 raids of April 1942. Before this, the city had no air cover. Did the excavations take place before the war? I know this area was the site of a mass grave for those killed in the raid. Do you have any SMR web links for the Bath area?

Send me some contact details and I'll e-mail you all the info I have.

Chance

Hi Chance,
Charmy Down and Lansdown sit on either side of the valley the A46 goes up, don't know the history of the airfield on Charmy Down, but there was also a temporary airfield on the Lansdown as well, both having barrow cemeteries.
Rev.Skinner did a drawing of Charmy Down with the barrows following the trackway, and it was the wife of W.F.Grimes who excavated one (with kerbing) in about 1958?, she had a different name to her husband can't remember....
I do have a photo of the gold disc on my blog, email is on my profile, and I'll give you the ref....
Moss

Reply | with quote
moss
Posted by moss
5th June 2008ce
07:34

In reply to:

Re: Moss and Mis-information (Chance)

Messages in this topic: