The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Conkwell Forum Start a topic | Search
Conkwell
Moss and Mis-information
11 messages
Select a forum:
Message for moss

Hi moss.

I see you have posted a link to the Wiltshire Heritage Museum under Conkwell Stone Circle.
Unfortunatly the items you listed were not excavated from this site.

Conkwell stone circle has never been excavated and the only modern referance to it was the work done back in 1946 by Guy Underwood.

The site is not even listed on the Wiltshire Sites and Monuments Record.

The flints you refer to were recovered from the Jug's Grave excavation and dated 22-09-46. These items were catalogued by the Wiltshire Heritage Museum in 2006 and appear on their website index. I think your confusion has been caused by the WHM reference to the hamlet of Conkwell, the parish in which Jug's Grave lies.

See this image
http://www.themodernantiquaria[...]t/68141/images/jugs_grave.html

Here is an extract from the article in the Wiltshire Archaeological Magazine Vol 51, p441 by Guy Underwood in 1946

Mr. Harcourt Skrine owned the property from about 1900 to 1922.
He did considerable digging for various (non-archaeological) purposes.
The semi-circular double lynchetts shown in field F. 5, are turns in training gallops made by him. He did some digging in F.1 and also in Witsalls Field, which he tried to bring into cultivation by adding soil to it. I am informed by his daughter, Mrs. Fleming-Hamilton, and by a man who worked on the estate for many years, that, in the course of these works, Mr. Skrine found so many arrowheads, stone axes, scrapers and flakes that he thought there must have been a factory there.
Professor Boyd-Dawkins pronounced them to be Neolithic.

About 1922 the best of the arrowheads and axes were taken to Bath and the remainder thrown away. Those in Bath disappeared in the Blitz, and only two arrowheads, I understand, survive. One, "a good 'Neolithic arrowhead", was presented by Mr. Vivian-Neal (the next owner of the property), to the Museum of the Somerset Archaeological Society ; the other is in the possession of Capt. Whitehead, the present (1946) owner. This I have seen. It is of the Middle Bronze Age type, barbed, tanged, narrow and finely worked.
In The Antiquary, N.S. viii, Oct. 1912, pp. 380-389, Mr. W. G. Collins of Bradford-on-Avon reports the following finds in field F. 11 :—9 arrowheads (3 leaf shaped), two knives, six borers, 120 scrapers, part of a polished celt and many flakes. He dates the finds as late Neolithic or Early Bronze Age.

My (Guy Underwood) finds are a number of scrapers and flakes, a broken stone mace, a maul or rubber, several fragments of whetstone, some large pebbles, probably slingstones, and a quantity of Roman and earlier pottery. Flints can be found all over the site. The finds give no precise guide as to date, but suggest occupation over a long period. This is somewhat confirmed by the topographical features.

If you would like the full article and Guy Underwood's maps, contact me via The Avebury Forum or through the Avebury Pagan Events Calendar page and I'll e-mail you what I have gathered so far.

The TMA eds asked that all references to Conkwell, other than the stone circle, be placed on the Jug's Grave page. This includes the holy well, the Neolithic courtyard house, the stone roads and pavements, along with the visable earth works and robbed out walls.

Hope this clears up any confusion

Chow4now

Chance

Reply | with quote
Chance
Posted by Chance
4th June 2008ce
13:35

Messages in this topic: