The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Standing stone in Middlesbrough??
11 messages
Select a forum:
Hey fitz!

Thanks for replying, I'm still dropping in from time to time. After a mad drive around town, a great wander through a rather rough spot in Hemlington, Alirich and I gave up and headed to M'bro's central library and puzzled the people there with our quest. They were rather clueless, but offered a small book on Hemlington for sale for about £2, I bought it just out of curiosity, couldn't find a mention in there and forgot about it all.

Then one sleepless night at 4am I re-read the book and spotted this:

"At first glance Viewley Hill may seem to be just another farm, though a closer look may reveal several features of local interest. A standing stone along the lane side which survived until the mid-twentieth century was believed by Alec Wright to have dated from Roman times."

Not suprising to hear it was Roman as it was only about 1/4 of a mile south from Lathgate Way (Ladgate Lane/Low Lane), which is thought to follow a Roman Road, and where a few otehr Roman things have been found over the years.

Shame it wasn't older though...

Barry.

Reply | with quote
jobbo
Posted by jobbo
12th May 2003ce
11:09

In reply to:

Re: Standing stone in Middlesbrough?? (fitzcoraldo)

Messages in this topic: