The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Coate Stone Circle Forum Start a topic | Search
Coate Stone Circle
Re: 'Hidden' stone circle on an ordinance survey m
10 messages
Select a forum:
I checked out Coate SC on Megalithic Portal and the TMA link now can't wait for the next crisp weekend to follow my feet. I understand from someone I spoke to at work today that you can walk through Coate Water Country Park to a stile that comes out at the right spot on Dayhouse Lane.

Please forgive my 'novice' enthusiasm but I ran a ruler over over my map which covers Swindon to Devizes and discovered there is a straight diagonal line from the Coate SC through Barbury Castle, Monkton Down (tumuli), Avebury, Horton Down Long Barrow, and the tumuli and earth-works at Tan Hill. Don't why I found that so exciting but I've always believed that old Swindon was built on sacred ground. The Lawns in Old Town is the site of a stone-age settlement and still has underground springs.

A few years back a local man did some research linking place-names with possible Celtic origins and Swin could be a derivation of Swyn meaning sacred - and 'don' may mean 'look-out place' (hill). The area known as the Lawns (previously the grounds of the long gone Lord of the Manor) looks out towards the Marlborough Downs.

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
7th January 2008ce
22:51

Messages in this topic: