The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   London Forum Start a topic | Search
London
New Barnet/Cockfosters - mysterious ditch/moat?
18 messages
Select a forum:
Can anyone from the New Barnet/Cockfosters area of London help me with an odd feature near the playing fields (TQ 276 966)?

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/new[...]wmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf

It's some sort of moat or ditch feature at the east end of the playing fields - on the other side of the 'moat' is a modern housing development, but this feature appears on maps of the area as early as 1873 - with no houses immediately nearby. I realise this may have no prehistoric provenance (perhaps a medieval moat?), but you never know, since there is an Iron Age enclosure/fort ('Hadley Woods Camp') about a mile to the west, where the railway line bisects the woods.

The other oddity I noticed on these old maps was a mound feature to the west of the ditch (now where Linthorpe Rd meets Northfield Rd); the ditch and the 'mound' are connected by a path.

I'd be grateful for any info that anyone has, even if it disproves a prehistoric date...

Thanks!

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sifaka
1st January 2008ce
20:35

Messages in this topic: