The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   London Forum Start a topic | Search
London
Re: Royal Academy exhibition
6 messages
Select a forum:
Mr Hamhead wrote:
Just posted details of the latest exhibition at the Royal Academy in case anyone is interested..includes a chance to win a trip to Stonehenge!
Has anybody been already? if so is it worth a trip from Cornwall to see?

Mr H

I went this morning! Thought it was fabulous! It's very very very small (about 180 exhibits) and I did the whole thing in under an hour (and that was taking my time). I'd say not worth a trip up from Cornwall especially, but if you happen to be coming up for something else then I'd say well worth it. Lovely paintings of Stonehenge and some William Morris exhibits. There is some lovely Video footage of a dig at Maiden Castle and some lovely artifacts from a barrow near Canterbury (Kingston Barrow) and from Upton Lovell, Wiltshire. My fav piece was a beautiful watercolor painting of Stonehenge by Thomas Girtin (Stonehenge in a Thunderstorm)... It's a very eclectic mix of stuff (paintings, gold, portraits - watercolours and oils, tiles, female skeleton, etchings and lithographs all sorts of stuff) and like I say I really enjoyed it (was the youngest person in there today, think it must have been Antiquarian OAP Wednesday!!)... The Guide book is over priced at £40 so probably not worth ordering off the website unless you really want to. There we go!!

Reply | with quote
Nat
Posted by Nat
3rd October 2007ce
14:49

In reply to:

Royal Academy exhibition (Mr Hamhead)

1 reply:

Re: Royal Academy exhibition (Littlestone)

Messages in this topic: