The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Kilmartin Area Forum Start a topic | Search
Kilmartin Area
Re: RA Query goes slightly micey
21 messages
Select a forum:
Hob wrote:
tiompan wrote:
What about the Morwick spirals are they representing puffins fling in circles at the Farne Isles and those at Newgrange a storm in the Boyne .

Ah, they've not got holes to vanish into, so they might represent whirlpools in the sky.

Akshooally, the Morwick spirals were made by the Irish fellas who did the Boyne stuff. It was when they came over to see if they could sell designs for their new fangled tombs to the ancient Northumbrians (who were having none of it...), when the same fellas went to Kilmartin, they left their marks at Achnabreck, and managed to flog a few designs too, unfortunatley, their boat sank in the Coryvreckan on the way home, and the folk of Kilmartin commemorated their memory with the spirals on the stone at Templewood.

tiompan wrote:
What I think noticeable about the Temple Wood spirals is that they look like they were done by different people at different times , despite being conjoined

Aye, well you see, the year after, another boat sank in the whirlpool, but this time the wifey who carved the first spiral (Her name was Katie-Morag btw...) was in that second boat. So she wasn't their to carve the second spiral, so it looks a bit ropey, because her brother ( known locally as 'Pecking Wullie') wasn't quite as practised as she was He got told off by the local elders for shoddy pecking, and was forced to do the early BA equivalent of writing lines, hence the profusion of motifs at Achnabreck. Simply translated, the markings there say "I must not carve crap spirals, I must not carve crap spirals, I must not carve crap spirals..."

It's obvious when you think about it :)

Hang on a minute here Hob, I thought Shoddy Pecking was Katie's 2nd cousin, you know, the one caught spreading yoghurt on stones at Castlerigg.

Reply | with quote
Rockrich
Posted by Rockrich
10th July 2007ce
22:46

Messages in this topic: