The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   The Long Man of Wilmington Forum Start a topic | Search
The Long Man of Wilmington
Re: YET ANOTHER REQUEST TO HELP THE LONG MAN
196 messages
Select a forum:
Cursuswalker wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Old hat , not very funny and only archaeology but the first bit of this might interest some .
http://www.reading.ac.uk/bulletin/pdfs/407.pdf

The site manger was saying this on Monday. Yet when we pressed him he admitted that it could not be proved that something had not been on the site for a lot longer.

Combine that with the alignment of a large round AND long barrow on the hill above with the figure (The long barrow addresses it arguably) and you have evidence for something having been on the side of the hill a long time ago.

And it is still called a "scheduled ancient monument"

That is what seems to have escaped the media moguls. They seem to have the attitude that "well it isn't as old as all that, and people go to Stonehenge and Avebury, so what's the problem?" instead of "Yes, you're right, it IS protected, we DID damage it [albeit only lightly] and yes, we ARE sorry we ever got into this mess".

Unfortunately this will probably work in their favour all the way, and they'll use TV news footage to advertise it.

I said I wasn't getting angry today...I promised!!!

Reply | with quote
slumpystones
Posted by slumpystones
5th July 2007ce
11:55

Messages in this topic: